Nuffnang

Friday, February 19, 2010

Recipe: Basil Ice Cream



Well, as summer draws to an end so does the first crop of edible balcony basil I planted as a companion plant for my tomatoes last September. Time to harvest!
 Last year I came across a few recipes for an unusual basil ice cream I've been itching to try out. Unlike traditional ice creams this recipe does not start with a custard base and uses greek yoghurt and mascarpone cheese. It's a simple recipe but it does make it easier if you have an ice-cream machine.

First I needed a big bunch of fresh basil....

well-washed making sure no caterpillars were lurking....

Recipe: Basil Ice Cream (makes 1 litre)

Ingredients:
1 large bunch of basil leaves, picked no stems (about 80 g)
500g sugar
250g mascarpone cheese
1.25kg thick Greek-style yoghurt

Method:
Put the basil leaves and the sugar in a food processor and blend until you have a coarse green powder. Add the yoghurt and the mascarpone and pulse blend until the mixture in smooth.
Put mixture into an ice cream machine and churn for about 20 minutes or according to the manufacturer's instructions. Leave to firm in the freeezer for an hour or so. Serve with fresh basil leaves.

Verdict:

I found this ice cream quite a revelation. Tangy and herbaceous. Quite delicious really. It is not one to shovel down while sprawled on the couch with a DVD. More a dinner party palate refresher after a spicy curry or Asian meal.
An exquisite way to feature the aniseed flavours of fresh basil leaves.

11 comments:

  1. Oh I just love this! Basil ice cream? I can't imagine anything being more delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh you take the most beautiful photos of your creations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure about this one... But i'm willing to have a go! I'll have to wait a bit though because i cut my 2 tubs of basil back alot for for last night's spaghetti bolognaise sauce.
    And yes your photographer friend is very talented! The pics are stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know Alan - hello! Although I know him from everyday life, not from blog-land :o) Lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gee I thought you were a good photographer too! All the same, gorgeous pics.

    Cheers - Joolz

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for that recipe. I had basil ice-cream at a wonderful Greek restuarant in Petersham, Sydney and have thought about it quite often since. I will try it out soon!
    Cheers,
    Lanie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought I noticed a difference in your photo's. Here I was thinking you got a new lens for the camera! This icecream sounds lovely and is good enough reason for me to drag that icecream maker out of its attic hibernation. Hope no lady beetles were hurt in the making of this icecream?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Quite a timely post as we have just bought an ice-cream maker. Look forward to trying it out. How would tomato and basil ice-cream taste?

    I have started my own blog about our inner city back yard and in particular growing food on the roof of our chookhouse and in similar ecoVert green wall panels. The photos have a bit to live up to.

    Please visit it at
    http://foodupthere.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is now on my list of things to try too. Basil pesto is my all time favourite food... so perhaps basil icecream will take up second place.
    Thanks for sharing this unusual recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello there! Just checking out other sweet basil entries. I just kinda started taking care of one myself.

    By the way, basil ice cream seems a little exotic. How does it compare to good old fashioned chocolate ice cream?

    ReplyDelete
  11. thanks for share your recipe, i will try it.

    ReplyDelete