Nuffnang

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Edible Balcony - First Zucchini Flower

Apologies for my week-long absence from the blogosphere. I have been spending way too much time in the 'real' world tackling a lengthy writing assignment.
I've emerged briefly to update you on the zucchini plants which are taking over the balcony like triffids.


From tiny sprouts on February 17th the 3 zucchini plants have now filled the eastern corner of the balcony

I will move them to the roomy western end when I've cleared out the two tomato pots later this week.

I can see why zucchinis have an easy-to-grow reputation

With no problems so far from pests or mildew there are already dozens of flower stalks

In fact this one may be ready to pick by Friday

softly wrapped orange-tinged petals sitting on a tiny zucchini stalk 

Even the large papery leaves seem to grow as you watch them.

These definitely get my vote for the vegetable any dummy can grow!

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on the beautiful little babies, they look gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't they wonderful?! I am growing an incredibly triffid-like one at the moment - this is a photo of it in its infancy:
    http://edibleurbangarden.blogspot.com/2010/02/zucchini-tromboncino.html
    BUT this one doesn't produce those beautiful flowers that you can stuff like your ones. Well done - they are gorgeous.
    Lanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. The flowers look fabulous...i've never eaten them but am thinking of growing them so I can try.

    ReplyDelete