Nuffnang

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Recipe: Wild honeyed ANZAC biscuits


Yes, it's that time of the year again - ANZAC bikkie time. Like chocolate eggs and hot cross buns, it just doesn't seem right to eat these biscuits at any other time of the year.

I've been baking ANZAC biscuits since Mrs Thorpe's home economics class when I was just 12 years old.

This recipe is based on the ANZAC biscuit recipe from that wise tome "Cookery The Australian Way".
I've substituted the golden syrup in this recipe for wild honey - mainly because I picked up a small jar of roadside honey on the way back from the Wolgan Valley last week and wanted to try it out. It makes a delicious alternative to golden syrup. I also threw in  two tablespoons of shredded coconut at the oats, sugar and flour stage for added crunch.

Ingredients:
2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup caster sugar
3/4 cup plain flour
1 tablespoon wild honey (or plain honey or golden syrup)
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
2 tablespoons boiling water
1/2 cup butter, melted

Method:
 
Set the oven to 160 degrees celsius. Mix oats, sugar and flour. Ina  separate bowl mix honey, soda and boiling water. While frothing add the melted butter and pour over dry ingredients. Mix thoroughly. Drop spoonfuls onto a floured tray allowing room for the mixture to spread. Bake at 160 C for 18-20 minutes.
Cool on a cake cooler.


6 comments:

  1. Will have to try honey in my next batch of Anzacs. I usually use dark brown sugar and treacle for rich, dark, crunchy, chewy Anzacs. I can feel a batch coming on now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. I still have that book too, from my old home economics classes of 80/81. I made biscuits yesterday, but it never dawned on me to make ANZACs. Doh! I figure i'd best get to it today. I don't have wild honey, but do have a tub from our neighbour's hives, so i'll give that a fly (it's great on toast)

    ReplyDelete
  3. God...mrs thorpe....it is all flooding back, the sewing classes. Hell. I remember using a fishing tackle box instead of a fancy sewing box. I need my therapist....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear joolzmac,
    ymmmmmm... your version sounds delicious. The addition of honey makes the biscuits a little less chewy and a little more like a florentine biscuit which I actually like. Enjoy your weekend! Indira

    Dear Angela,
    I know ANZAC day snuck up on me too - I think because of school hols and Easter all merging together. A great time for biscuit-making.
    Indira

    Dear Tamsin,
    I seem to remember your fishing tackle sewing box! Yes, Mrs Thorpe would not have been amused. Hope you're all having a lovely mini-break in stylish Melbourne.xxIndira

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahh, you've answered my question in your comments about the texture of the biscuits thanks Indira. I was thinking they looked gorgeously thin and crispy. Mine are usually a thicker chewier version, but, apart from some rather horribly commercial versions, I've never met an ANZAC biscuit I didn't love, crisp, chewy, thick or thin. Love to know a little more about the flavour of your wild honey though, sounds luscious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look deliciously buttery. Must give this recipe a whirl soon, even though I've missed Anzac Day - but really anytime is a good time for oats, butter and sugar!

    ReplyDelete