Nuffnang

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Recipe: Grilled Peppers stuffed with Fetta, Lemon Zest and Oregano

voluptuous curves many women would kill for

Yesterday I picked the 4 lone peppers from my balcony pepper bushes. There are several flowers opening so hopefully I'll get a few more peppers to add to my meagre crop. But where they lack in numbers they certainly make up for in size. These babies were as long as my hand.

I wanted to enjoy their full sweet flavour so I thought I'd cook them Macedonian style - grilled and stuffed with fetta. This recipe is adapted from the one given to me by my Macedonian friend Rosa.

Recipe: Grilled Peppers stuffed with fetta, lemon zest and oregano

Ingredients:
8 green peppers
300g sharp fetta (greek, bulgarian or a good Australian one)
1 tablespoon lemon zest
1 teaspoon fresh oregano
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Method:
Heat a BBQ plate or grill or use a gas flame on your stove. Grill the peppers until the skins are a little charred and the peppers are softening. Put the peppers in a plastic bag so the steam loosens the skins. After ten minutes peel off the blackened skins. Don't be tempted to wash them with water or you will lose all the pepper's wonderful flavours. Make an incision along one side of each pepper and carefully remove all the internal membranes and seeds.
Sprinkle the inside of each pepper with a little sea salt and pepper. Now stuff each pepper with fetta, some oregano and a sprinkling of lemon zest. Fold the peppers back into a pepper shape, arrange on a platter, sprinkle with a little more fetta, zest and oregano and a good splash of olive oil. Serve at room temperature.
Verdict:
A glorious way to enjoy your homegrown peppers. The grilling intensifies the sweetness of the peppers and the sharpness of the fetta and lemon zest balance the flavours magically.

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm this is a nice sounding dish, I wish you took a photo of it. I think it would be a really great side at a BBQ. Thanks

    ReplyDelete